“He sat me down in the middle of a valley of dry bones.”
God Meets Us in the Valley of Dry Bones
You know the feeling! Things are difficult and no matter where you look…nothing but dry bones. Nothing alive, nothing encouraging, no one to talk too…just hopelessness and loneness everywhere you turn.
Sitting in the middle of this desert, discouraged and thirsting for living water, you wonder…where is God in this time of turmoil and tragedy? Even so…your heart, soul and mind remind you that God does some of his best work in the valley of dry bones.
God does some of his best work in the valley of dry bones!
God Speaks to Us in the Valley of Dry Bones
Stop! Breath! Now open your Bible and read Ezekiel 37:1-14.
Reading in Ezekiel, we discover a time when this prophet of the Lord God Almighty was in the valley of dry bones. He was led there by God for personal reflection and kingdom service. From this biblical story we learn that God often takes us to the valley of dry bones to teach us something and advance his kingdom purpose.
You see, in the valley of dry bones God has our full attention…and a specific purpose when leading us there. The silence surrounding us in the valleys of of life makes it easy to hear God’s voice with great clarity!
The silence surrounding you in the valleys of your life make it easy to hear God’s voice with great clarity!
Rest assured, God speaks to us in the valley of dry bones.
Dry Bones Rattling
Notice from our story, in the valley of dry bones, the Spirt of the Lord spoke and gave Ezekiel a prophecy to advance his kingdom. Upon completing God’s assignment, the sound of a mighty noise came upon the valley and the dry bones began to r-a-t-t-l-e and join together. After a second prophesy, “breath” and “spirit” came upon the bones…once dry and dead, these dry bones live again. With the miracle now complete, God gives a promise and proclamation, “You shall know that I am the Lord.”
Dry Bones Live Again
Ezekiel’s vision was explained in verse 11. “Our bones are dried up and our hope is lost”. Yet God reminds us, “I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you will know that I am the Lord, I have spoken and I will do it”.
Discouraged and thirsting for living water? Still wondering where is God in this time of turmoil and tragedy? Your heart, soul and mind were right. God does some of his best work in the valley of dry bones.
He is with us and his Spirit is within us. Through it all we can rest assured that God is sovereign and in control, no matter where we are or what circumstances we face. God is with us in the valley of dry bones.
God is With You in the Valley of Dry Bones
God has a purpose for this challenging time in your life. Listen to Him, stand up, claim His promises and take your next step. God’s Spirit is in you and you will make it through this valley.
This is God’s Word for God’s people…Hear it, Believe it and Live.
- Sit with God a while. Ask him to help you hear and understand what he is saying and teaching you during this difficult time.
- Taking the next step. Look for specific things God wants you to do to advance his kingdom during this time in the valley. Often our time in the valley is not about us personally, but about God using us for kingdom purpose during this specific time in our life.
- God wants us to know him. Not just know about him, but to know him. What are you learning about God in this valley?
- What have you learned about yourself during this challenging time? What are the “blind spots” or “shadow sides” in your life that have been revealed in the valley? Moving forward, where do you need to be more aware when walking through the challenging seasons of life?
- Finally, spend some time in prayer offering praise and thanksgiving to God for being with you and in you as you walk through the valleys in you life. Praise him simply for who he is. Offer thanksgiving for all he has done and is doing in your life today.