To Be Like Jesus
The words of this old hymn rang loudly in many ways this week as we launched a new sermon and study series on the life of Christ. Children and adults singing Jesus Messiah, pastors and teachers proclaiming the many facets of Jesus, and servants ministering to others in Jesus’ name all demonstrated what it means to be a Christ follower.
The Bible reminds us in Galatians 4:19, Romans 8:28-30, and 2 Corinthians 3:18 that we are to be formed, conformed, and transformed into the image of Christ—that the personality and deeds of Jesus should naturally flow out of us where we life, work, and play. Simply put, we are to say the things Jesus would say, do the things that Jesus would do, and act the way Jesus would act.
So how does one get to know Jesus? If our goal is to be like Him what methods and tools are available to us today? Here are ten suggestions.
1. Read and Study God’s Word. The Bible is God’s revelation of Himself to His creation. Start by reading the gospels of Mark and John followed by Matthew, Luke, and Acts.
2. Spend time with God in prayer. Slow down and have a conversation with Jesus. Prayer is simply talking with God. Be still, tell God what is on your heart, and listen for His answer.
3. Participate in a worship service. Sing, pray, give, and follow along in the Bible. Keep your focus on Jesus. Look and listen to God as He speaks to you through various elements of worship.
4. Talk with others about Jesus. Engage in a conversation about Jesus. Ask others how they came to know Jesus and what He is teaching them. Remember: talking to others may include sharing your faith with someone who does not know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
5. Serve Others. Do the things Jesus did. Help someone in need, visit the sick, play with children, offer hope to the hopeless. It is often easy to see the face of Jesus in the people we serve.
6. Read a book about Jesus. Read a book about the life, words, and work of Jesus.
7. Participate in a group study on Jesus. Join a LIFE Group, Connect Group, Focus Study, or just grab some friends and/or co-workers and participate in a study of Jesus.
8. View works of art illustrating Jesus. Visit an art museum or view works of art online. Don’t rush through the paintings and sculptures. Spend time learning from the artist as they share their view of Christ.
9. Listen to worship music. Listen to songs about Jesus from various artists and genres. Perhaps you can find Him in the beauty of an orchestra or the simple sound of child singing Jesus Loves Me.
10. Take a walk and observe creation. The rocks and hills praise God. If you look and listen, you can see and hear nature praise our Savior.